Celemony Melodyne 4


Musical Pitch never had a chance, Melodyne dominates! 

Ever Since Melodyne was first released, Celemony always kept the focus on making this program more than was it was marketed for.  It is a tool for correcting wayward pitches. And it does that just flawlessly, but it also has many other creative functions. You have complete freedom to work with recorded sounds and modulate them in a way, no other VST really could. According to Celemony, 60% of Melodyne users just stay with pitch correcting for vocals, while the remaining 40% push its creative limits. Pushing would be an understatement to Melodyne, This program really can the do the unimaginable.

Melodyne 4 introduces a multitrack feature that also extends into plug-in form. Perfect for use withing your preferred DAW. Audio files can be opened thru the import function, or simply drag and drop. Melodyne then proceeds to analyze the audio file and maps out every single pitch modulation within the sample. As before, any audio you want to edit in Melodyne needs to be ‘transferred’ to the plug–in by playing it back in real time within the DAW — but it’s now possible to do this all at once, for every instance of the Melodyne plug–in your project. Once the audio has been captured, the experience of working in the Melodyne Studio plug–in is in most respects now no different from working in the stand–alone program. In essence, it doesn’t really matter which plug–in window you have open, because each of them basically shows the same multitrack project, allowing you to edit any or all of the tracks at once. The window is fully resizable, and not only are keyboard shortcuts now freely assignable within Melodyne, but they work in the plug–in version as well. M4_02_16_01

Another neat touch is that Celemony has minimized the need to mess around with faders or mute and solo buttons in order to hear what you need to hear for editing purposes, thanks to a single slider at the top right of the Note Editor area. In its leftmost position, this solo all and only the tracks selected for editing within the Note Editor. As you move it rightwards towards the centre position, tracks selected for reference within the Note Editor are brought up; and as you move it further right, the remaining tracks become audible, so that in its rightmost position, all Melodyne tracks are heard at equal levels (unless muted or attenuated in the track header). This is a beautifully simple yet effective piece of interface design, which condenses all the level control you really need into a single slider.


In both Tempo Assign and Tempo Edit modes, the mouse acts as a context–sensitive ‘smart tool’ with numerous different functions. Depending on what’s selected and where you hover the pointer, it can scale the tempo of everything to the left or right of the selection, apply a ‘flat’ tempo change to all selected beats, make a ‘bell curve’ edit with progressively larger tempo changes towards the middle of the selection, impose a ritardando or accelerando, and so on. Particularly neat is the ‘wave’ tool mode, which simultaneously speeds up the first half of a given selection and slows down the second half, or vice versa, thus changing its feel while keeping its overall duration the same. It’s also possible to force the entire selection to a fixed tempo of your choosing, and if your edits do result in a map that looks like a cross–section through the Alps, there are three further menu options to Smooth Tempo over several bars, several beats, or at a sub–beat level.


Melodyne 4 has been a long time coming. But, as you can tell from the sheer length of this review, Celemony have wasted none of that time. This is an absolutely huge update, and thank heavens, it’s accompanied by a superb, searchable, cross–linked online manual which is a big improvement over the v2 documentation. Early adopters of Melodyne 2 will remember the stability problems that marred that release, so I’m pleased to report that Celemony appears to have got it right this time around. I tested a late beta and the release versions of Melodyne Studio 4, predominantly on Mac OS but also on Windows, and found it robust. There were a handful of times where it quit unexpectedly after saving and closing a project, but my work was never lost or interrupted; by way of comparison, I’d say it was at least as stable as Pro Tools 11 and 12 on my MacBook Air.



Price : 700.00 US dollars


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: